Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Day One

Aloha again! Today was my first full day in Hawaii and also the first day of the REU. We started at 9am with introductions and a Linux/C++ quiz (which I didn't really do too well on) to gauge our knowledge of both of those. We also had a group exercise dealing with the types of computing systems which was slightly confusing. For lunch, we had a student/faculty potluck with a traditional Hawaiian chicken dish, salad, and some rice. After lunch, we had a few lectures from some of the professors and some computer logistics to take care of. We left at 4:45pm and headed back to the dorms. Shortly after, we all decided to go to Waikiki beach which is a mile or 2 away from campus. We walked there and it took a lot longer than we thought! We finally got there and a few of us went in the water, which was very warm but the ocean floor was rocky and unpredictable at that spot. Hopefully we will be able to find a part of that beach or another beach where there is soft sand in the water. I would definitely not want to learn to surf in that spot of the beach because I know I would fall and scrape myself on the rocks! After we left the beach, we walked to a grocery store to shop for some food and then headed back to the dorms. It was a fun trip but very tiring! My feet hurt so bad from the rocks at the beach and my sandals, I can hardly stand for a long time! Hopefully they will feel better in the morning. Tomorrow is day 2 and we have to do lunch on our own, so I will probably go to the union on campus and see what they have over there and explore the campus a bit more.

I haven't really taken any pictures yet (I forgot my camera when we went out to the beach today, durp) but as soon as I do (probably tomorrow) I will post them up on facebook for you all. Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment